OSSREA normally publishes research reports, books and monographs derived from the work of its members and participants in its research programmes. We do, however, welcome unsolicited manuscripts from time to time and look forward to receiving your book proposal. Below is a very basic checklist that asks you to provide the information that will enable the editors to help you produce the best possible publication from your planned manuscript.
Please include the following information on your proposal and attach it to your covering letter.
What is the provisional title of the book?
- Type of book
What is the book about? Please state in one sentence what type of book it is and what special fields of research it covers.
Edited volume, multidisciplinary reader (Reference book / Textbook etc) aimed at undergraduates in development studies, postcolonial studies, African studies or Sociology.
- Synopsis In less than 1000 words outline the following:
- Aim: What does the book do? Why is there a need for this book? How does the book achieve its aim?
- Focus: What is the scope of your work? What do you emphasize and what do you exclude?
- Length: In terms of words, how long will the manuscript be?
- Table of Contents and Sample Chapter
List all the chapters in your book and give a brief summary of each. Attach a sample chapter as an example of your writing.
- Special Features
If you intend to include a CD, PowerPoint slides for lecturers, questions/exercises for revision, instructors manual etc inform the OSSREA editors in advance.
- The Market
- Are you aware of any other books on the market that might be similar to yours?
- What gap in the literature will your book fill?
- Who might use your book and how many copies might they order for this purpose?
- Please name a few universities or research institutions that specialise in your area.
- Name two books that you consider the main competitors for your planned publication.
- For each please provide full bibliographic details and briefly review the strengths and weaknesses.
- What advantage does your book have over them?
- Are you aware of any similar texts currently being produced by rival authors/publishers in this field?
- Work Plan
Please provide a brief writing schedule and state a tentative delivery date for your manuscript.
- Author’s CV
Please attach a copy of your CV and publications record.