OSSREA promotes its publications through a variety of events and mechanisms. These include:
- OSSREA Book Day: This is a three-day annual event in which samples of all publications of OSSREA are displayed in an attractive format in the Conference Hall of the Secretariat in Addis Ababa. The event is publicised in advance through posters, the OSSREA Newsletter and the OSSREA calendar. In addition to invited guests from the donor and diplomatic community and leaders of academic and research institutions, visitors include university professors, librarians, graduate and undergraduate students, researchers from government agencies and development NGOs as well as interested members of the general public. The occasion is used to launch new publications. A discount of 10-50% is made on all publications for visitors on that special occasion. Visitors are also briefed about OSSREA’s objectives and research activities and invited to become members or participate in its activities. So far, OSSREA has launched two Book Days, the first one from October 2000, and the second one from 10-12 December 2001.
- Zimbabwe International Book Fair (ZIBF): This is an important annual event that brings together hundreds of actors in the book industry in Africa as well as others from Europe, Asia, and North America. The ZIBF takes place during the summer in Harare, Zimbabwe. OSSREA has been displaying and selling its publications on this occasion since 1998. Representatives of OSSREA have also been attending the various workshops and conferences organised on this occasion. In addition, OSSREA has used the event to make contacts with distribution agencies, other publishers and printers as well as research institutions interested in publications exchange arrangements.
- Regional and International Workshops and Conferences: OSSREA has also been promoting and marketing its publications at venues for regional and international workshops and conferences organised by OSSREA or other institutions in or outside Ethiopia. Among these are National Workshops organised by OSSREA National Chapters in member countries, Research Methodology Workshops organised by OSSREA in Addis Ababa, the African Studies Association annual meeting held in the USA.
- OSSREA Bulletin: Each issue of the Newsletter also carries a list of the latest publications of OSSREA.
- Publications Catalogue: At the beginning of each year, OSSREA produces a publications catalogue that carries the list of OSSREA publications, both new and back prints, available in stock for sale or distribution. Copies of the catalogue are available for free both online and in print form.