PROF. Nnadozie tasks ACBF beneficiaries to adopt “new business model”
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (January 28, 2014/ACBF) - The Executive Secretary of the African Capacity Building Foundation ACDF), Prof. Emmanuel Nnadozie, has on Tuesday, January 28, informed ACBF Implementing Partners of the changes at the foundation.
Attending his first African Union Summit as Executive Secretary of ACBF Prof. Nnadozie met the Executive Directors of the ACBF-supported Institutions in Ethiopia at the headquarters of the Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI).
Five institutions attended the meeting, namely the host EDRI, the Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA), the Horn Economic and Social Policy Institute (HESPI), the AUC-CAP and the Organization for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa. (OSSREA).
OSSREA held its 11th Congress in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
OSSREA held its 11th Congress at the Desalegn Hotel from December 9th to 11th 2013 while the conference was held on the 9th and 10th of December 2013 with the theme of OSSREA’s Response to Africa’s Challenges of Change. The conference was opened by Dr Kaba Urgessa, the State Minister of Education for Ethiopia who talked about the challenges of education in the country. The main objective of this conference was to bring together academicians, researchers and policy makers to discuss various topical issues that Africa is dealing with including – climate change, land deals, social protection, unemployment, HIV/AIDs, gender equality, public sector reform, higher education, water resource management, etc. At this conference budding scholars from Eastern and Southern Africa presented the outcomes of their research projects and the books that have been published by international and regional publishers on the issues have been launched to the wider community and OSSREA’s stakeholders.
At the conference a number of good will presentations were made and are listed below:
- Ambassador Dr Samuel Assefa, African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF)
- Madam Nina Sokoine, East African Court of Justice
- Madam Caroline Khamati Mugalla, East African Trade Union Congress (EATUC)
- Madam Alice Sena Lamptey, Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA)
- Mr. Daniel Osiemo, NEPAD (KENYA)
- Dr. Morrison Rwakakamba, President’s Office, Government of Uganda
- Dr Admasu Tsegaye, President Addis Ababa University represented by Dr Gebre Yintso
- Professor Mohammed Salih, University of Rotterdam the Netherlands
- Professor Edward Kirumira, The Nile Basin Research Project (WASO) and Makerere University
- Dr Munzoul Assal, NORHED Project and University of Khartoum
- Ms. Hannak Tsadik, Life and Peace Institute
- Dr Benedicto Kondowe, Malawi Human Rights Commission
- Dr. Steve Kayizzi Mugerwa, African Development Bank (ADB)
After the opening and introductions the OSSREA Secretariat presented a three year comparison report about the activities of OSSREA which included research, publications and finance and administration. The dissemination conference was a golden opportunity where OSSREA presented its publications of the last three years and managed to share the findings with its stakeholders and also produce policy briefs for further dissemination activities.
Photos taken at the Congress
OSSREA conducted a four days interactive refresher course for staff of the Research Wing of the Uganda Parliament. The training was organized to update and expose 10 members of the staff of the Parliament on the process of social science research, especially on quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis and report writing. Participants were also exposed to the concepts of public policy making, steps in public policy making, and monitoring and evaluation of public policy. The training was held from June 3rd to 7th , 2013 at OSSREA Headquarters, located at St. George Street, Sidist Kilo Campus, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.